Friday 20 June 2008

Copper Madness

I've always been a silver girl but recently, my new surge of creativity has taken me in new directions, not to mention my own personal style as well.

I order my supplies from all over the damn place, so I often have to wait a small eternity for them to turn up on my doorstep. Of course, the worst thing for a silver smith to run out of is silver, so I decided to take my newfound love for big and relatively simple shapes into the realm of copper, which I can get easily and cheaply and can have a play with without worrying about ruining something potentially expensive.

My "Buzz, Buzz, Buttercup" pendant is one of the first large bits of copper that I've played with. Copper is a fairly friendly material to work with, especially while cutting. I can hardly describe it at anything but slightly more "powdery" than silver under the blade. Cuts are quicker.

I'm also finding uses for a massive reel of copper wire that I've had since my student days. It's just the right thickness for thin, hammered discs, which I love with the beautiful tear-drop amber beads that I've acquired. The color of these "Sundance" earrings is just fantastic.

Check them all out in the shop!

1 comment:

bee said...

corr the buzz buzz is lovely.